This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton


Author: Tessa Gratton
Titel: Blood Magic
Publisher: Random House Children's Book
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Published: July 7th 2011 
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Summary (author's webpage)For Nick Pardee and Silla Kennicot, the cemetery is the center of everything.Nick is a city boy angry at being forced to move back to the nowhere town of Yaleylah, Missouri where he grew up. He can’t help remembering his mom and the blood magic she practiced – memories he’s tried for five years to escape. Silla, though, doesn’t want to forget; her parents’ apparent murder-suicide left her numb and needing answers. When a book of magic spells in her dad’s handwriting appears on her doorstep, she sees her chance to unravel the mystery of their deaths.Together they plunge into the world of dark magic, but when a hundred-year-old blood witch comes hunting for the bones of Silla’s parents and the spell book, Nick and Silla will have to let go of everything they believe about who they are, the nature of life and death, and the deadly secrets that hide in blood.
This book was on my to-be-read list for a few weeks and last night I was in the right mood for it. Blood magic is about 17 year old Silla, whose parents were killed recently. She lost 20 pound, chopped of her hair and is changing around the old cemetery very often. It's also the place the new-boy-in-town Nick witnesses Silla's first try on blood magic. And he starts to remember what his completely mad mother used to do when he was still very small. Soon these two embark together with Silla's brother Reese on a dangerous journey to learn more about blood magic and the death of Silla's parents. In addition Silla's a very strong attraction develops between Silla and Nick. This growing love will help them in their fight against an evil and powerful ancient blood witch.

Ok, I started the book and wanted to read a few pages before bed. Didn't happen. I read the whole book through. I was immediately drawn into the story. Fragile Silla who despite her losses is still strong and Nick, the boy, who doesn't want to be here, make an adorable couple. I liked the 
blood magic idea. Nothing I came across before. The story fast fast-paced and entertaining. The supporting characters were well developed and complemented the main story line. And though the story is about blood (and to get it you obviously have to cut yourself) it wasn't nasty. 
The story is written in the perspective of Silla and Nick, which helps understanding them and the growing attraction between them. The dialogues a quite entertaining. The story line is very well thought trough and not predictable at all (at least for me). And then there were the diary notes which show up every other chapter and give us a glimpse of the background of blood magic.
Overall a very good book. And I appreciated that there was only a slight cliffhanger and the end. I enjoyed this novel very much and hope that the second book in this series will be published soon.


And I have to add I like the american cover better. Here for comparison:

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Aug 11, 2011, 7:38:00 PM , Blogger Lisa Mandina said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower. I liked this book, and I only bought it because I got to meet the author and get it signed. It just had some issues for me as you read about in my review. Good review!

 
At Aug 12, 2011, 3:06:00 AM , Blogger NoraBell said...

I agree that the American cover is more aesthetically pleasing, haha. Though it is pretty cool to see the different country's covers and compare. This book looks like an awesome read, no matter what the cover looks like... I still need to get my hands on it though :P

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great week!

Nora, The Bookery

 
At Aug 12, 2011, 7:38:00 PM , Blogger Rachel Brooks said...

I'll definitely give this one a try since you gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Plus, I'm in love with the cover! It's so cool how the flower turns into birds.

Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 7:08:00 AM , Blogger TheJay2xA said...

Been wanting to read this book for awhile now, and now after reading this review i'm so gonna bump this on my TBR pile :) awesome review!

 
At Sep 24, 2011, 8:43:00 PM , Blogger Sophia Chang said...

Oh gawd the same thing happened to me - I tried to put it down to go to bed but it was so thrilling and scary that I stayed up all night to finish it. REALLY good.

And for the first time, I like the US cover better too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home