This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep


Author: Jennifer Estep
Titel: Touch of Frost
Publisher: Kensington Books
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Series: Mythos Academy #1
Published: 26th July 2011 (ebook)
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Goodreads Summary
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy -- a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why – especially since I should have been the one who died …
This book was a huge surprise to me. I liked the abstract and was expecting an enjoyable read and I wasn't disappointed. This is a really funny, entertaining and thrilling story. 
I loved pretty much everything about this book. Originally I was sceptical about the whole magic school theme. There are many new publications with magic schools out there and I wasn't sure how often you can successfully recreate this topic. In this case the author did a fantastic job. With the Mythos academy Jennifer Estep creates this  more modern, posh "Hogwarts" with a lot of cool, rich kids. At the same time she incorporates greek, nordic, roman mythology (actually all kinds of mythology) and a wide range of paranormal creatures.
Gwen alias the gypsy girl is an adorable main character. She is feisty, ironic, sensitive, sceptical and a bit of a loner. She seemingly doesn't fit in this school where everyone is privileged, arrogant and incarnates some mystical fighter. But the more you read the more it becomes obvious to you and Gwen that not everything and everybody is what it/they seem to be. As she joined the school one year later than all the other students she seems to miss out on things. When the queen bee Jasmine is killed, Gwen can't understand why everyone isn't shocked. Life goes on almost unimpaired. This doesn't seem right to Gwen. She is determined to solve Jasmines murder with her ability to see/feel feelings connected to items touched by someone else. Soon enough she run into troubles.
In the beginning Gwen is such a lone wolf, once because she came in later and secondly because she doesn't want to be close to people. How the latter attitude is changing during her adventures is described amusingly. The supporting characters are all likeable in their own way. It's enjoyable to read how they all become closer. And then there is Logan, a spartan, who appears in the oddest places and helps Gwen several time. He is hot and the dialogues between these two are awfully amusing and made me giggle a few times. In the end the case is closed quite neatly. Overall a well written, fast paced book. And I can't wait to get my hands on the second book, Kiss of Frost, which will be published in November.



Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Aug 29, 2011, 7:05:00 PM , Blogger Tia said...

Wow, this book sounds fantastic! I will be definitely checking this out!


Tia @ Falling For Books

 
At Aug 29, 2011, 7:40:00 PM , Blogger Grace @ Graced with Books said...

I cannot wait to read this! It's on my TBR pile...I will get to it eventually!

Happy Reading :)

 
At Aug 29, 2011, 8:58:00 PM , Blogger Truly Bookish said...

Awesome review, you know I love this book too!
NC
Truly Bookish

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 8:33:00 PM , Blogger Karli said...

I too was a bit skeptical when I read about the 'wizard school' setting in the plot description. I wasn't planning to read it, but your review makes it sound pretty enjoyable. Maybe I'll give it a go! :)

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 11:28:00 PM , Blogger Giselle said...

I've been wanting to read this for a bit now and this review is making me really look forward to it! Great review!

 
At Sep 13, 2011, 4:52:00 AM , Blogger DANIELA said...

Hi
the book sounds very interesting, with all that mythology.
Thanks for the review. It made me want to read it even more

Daniela
dany7578 at hotmail dot com

 
At Sep 24, 2011, 1:17:00 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

Great review!
Just added Touch of Frost on my wishlist!

 
At Oct 1, 2011, 10:59:00 PM , Blogger annejude said...

I have this book on my TBR list, cause I am a huge fan of mythology and ironic heroines:D
I have read especially good reviews of this, so thanks for another good one, looking forward to it:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home