This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Review: Tris & Izzy by Mette Ivie Harrison


Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Titel: Tris & Izzie
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: Sep. 13th 2011 
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Source: ARC via NetGalley
Get it: Amazon 
Goodreads review:
A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

I sooooo love the Tristan and Isolde story. It's one of my favorite. When I read about this book on somebodies book blog (sorry I can't remember where) and then realised it's up on NetGalley there was no stopping me.
Unfortunately the book didn't hold up to my expectations. The book starts with introduction to the main characters, Izzie and Mark, which are the hotest couple at the local high school. And there is Izzie's best friend Branna, which is secretly in love with Mark and therefore single. As Izzy doesn't know the first fact she wants to fix the second by giving Branna a love potion. These things never work out properly and Izzie ends up sharing the potion herself with the new guy Tristan. This on it's own would have already made an interesting storyline but nope. The author then adds an overwhelming second storyline about magic people endangered by a great evil. Which of course only Izzie can stop. Don't get it? Me neither!
The original tale of people falling in love with the wrong persons isn't really explored in the plot (if you can speak about one here) instead the reader gets cheated by a weird story of witches, evil snakes, giants and all kinds of magic things. For me this was an absolut overkill. 
Which maybe wouldn't have been that bad if I actually would have cared for the characters. Unfortunately I didn't. The only one I could like is Tristan. Everyone else is just majorly self-centered, insensitive, obnoxious, annoying and immature (I know they are teenagers, but still!). No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't make myself like Izzie, Mark or Branna. It could be that we started on the wrong foot, because they became a bit more likeable or maybe grown-up throughout the story but than the annoying plot made me dislike everything. In addition there wasn't any chemistry between the lovers. 
And now I feel terrible for writing all this review. But I honestly couldn't get into this story, characters or plot.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Sep 7, 2011, 8:41:00 AM , Blogger Skye (In The Good Books) said...

I felt much the same -- I really liked the original story too! But most of the characters' interactions in this felt kind of...unnatural. Like bad adult actors in a teen movie.

 
At Sep 13, 2011, 9:01:00 PM , Blogger Munnaza said...

I got a review copy of this book from NetGalley, and it's been on my TBR list for quite some time now, so I'm a little disappointed to hear that the book didn't live up to your expectations. I've had high expectations for this book too (the cover is gorgeous), but I haven't had the time to read it yet. I still will, but some of the things you mentioned (random second storyline about magic that doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the book and just seems... random) will probably push this book down on my to-read list. It sounds like the author was trying to profit from magic and fantasy currently being prevalent genres in YA today, and your review makes it seem like the original plot just... got muddled in all that witchcraft. The characters don't sound that appealing either, but I'm still willing to give this book a fair chance. Thanks so much for this review! It sounds very fair, and you can't help it if you didn't enjoy the book, especially when it seems like you truly wanted to.

 
At Sep 26, 2011, 1:19:00 PM , Blogger featherlyhearts- said...

Tristan and Isolde is one of my favorite stories to. And when I first saw that there's going to be a remake put in modern time I was flipping out! I was so excited. And then I started reading reviews. They all said that isn't a good story.
And your review confirmed it. Well I'm not going to read this book now, because I don't want to change my mind about the original story. It's a shame though...

 
At Oct 2, 2011, 4:30:00 AM , Blogger dianaers said...

I received a copy of this Tris and Izzie from netgalley, and it was really interesting to read your perspective of the story. I still plan on reading it, but I will definitely keep some of your comments in mind.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home