This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Author: Myra McEntire
Titel: Hourglass
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Published: 14th June 2011
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Get it: Amazon | Book Depository 
Goodreads Summary
One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organisation called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
What a book! I don't even know where to start. I'm fascinated with time travel stories since Diana Gabaldon published Outlander in the 1990s. I guess the possibility of manipulating something in the past responds to most of us.

Hourglass is the story of Emerson, Em for friends. Very soon you realise that Em isn't the normal kind of senior high school girl. First of all she sees shapes/people who nobody else can see and because of this she secondly doesn't think very highly of herself. Though Em is only 17, she already went through a lot. She started seeing things with 13, shortly afterwards her parents died, she completely broke down, was institutionalised, went to boarding school and is now back in her hometown, living with her brother and sister-in-law and isn't taking her medicine anymore. She only has only friend left and is quite lonely. Her worried brother enlists the mysterious Hourglass institute to help Em with her "visions". And then it happens, Em meets for the first time in her life someone, who can see the shape as well. In addition there is an immediate bodily attraction between Em and the enigmatic Hourglass consultant Michael, who is only a few years older then Em. And now the story really gets started.

I don't want to give away too much. The plot is fast paced, full of interesting details, unpredictable and there are more twists and turns then you can imagine. Always when I thought I knew where the story is leading to something unexpected happened. It really keeps you on your toes.
Em is an unusual heroine. First she seemed so broken, vulnerable and lost. But then you realise she has an inner core made of steel. But she ist doubting herself so much. It was fascinating to read about her inner battle to keep her sanity, to distinguish between real and unreal.
Michael, her potential love interest, is very puzzling. You don't know a lot about him. He hides many secrets but he obviously cares for Em and her state of mind. But it's not always clear if he has more then the obvious reasons to seek her out.
The tension between the two of them his described amazingly realistic. It's sizzling and there are so much feelings involved. Very interesting.
The supporting characters, which I can't say a lot about without giving away too much, are multifaceted and add to the overall story development. I hope we get to know more about them in the next book.
The only thing which annoyed me was Michaels withholding of information. There was too much guessing and waiting for informations. But that's just a minor point.
Altogether this story is suspense-packed, creative and I will definitely pick up the second book in this series. Well done for a debut novel!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

20 Comments:

At Sep 2, 2011, 2:44:00 PM , Blogger _yay_ said...

Oh, I haven't read a fast paced AND unpredictable read in quite a while. Had my eye on this one for some time, too. Wasn't sure whether to buy it or not. Fab review. I think I'll give it a try afer all. :-)

 
At Sep 2, 2011, 7:42:00 PM , Blogger Liz. R said...

Been wanting to read this one for ages! Em definitely sounds like an intriguing character and I love that there's a great tension between her and Michael! Great review, thank you.

 
At Sep 2, 2011, 11:43:00 PM , Blogger KindleJoy said...

You have an interesting blog! Just found you via Blog Hop and now one of your followers :)

 
At Sep 3, 2011, 5:50:00 AM , Blogger Ninja Girl said...

Hiya,
As with many books, Hourglass caught my attention awhile back with that gorgeous cover. Sigh, I haven't picked it up yet, but your review made me want to :) Hope you're having a great week, and thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!
New follower here,
Ninja Girl

 
At Sep 3, 2011, 2:00:00 PM , Blogger Pepca said...

I was wondering about this one, you make it sound so goo it has to go on my to-read list. Great review!

 
At Sep 5, 2011, 7:12:00 PM , Blogger Lenasledgeblog.com said...

I've been wanting this book since I first saw the cover. Glad it has gotten some great reviews. Another one on my TBR list to conquer. Thanks for the review.

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 5:00:00 AM , Blogger Adriana said...

I like your review, thanks for not giving away spoilers.
I have Hourglass in my long TBR list.

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 2:41:00 PM , Blogger TheJay2xA said...

I totally flove this book! I have to agree with you that Michael is withholding the information... it seems predictable for me. Em is like dying to know the truth... I loooove your review!

 
At Sep 6, 2011, 9:38:00 PM , Blogger Chen Yan Chang said...

I haven't read Hourglass yet but it's been on my list of books to buy! I love the idea of time traveling! And of course, any story with romance is a plus!

 
At Sep 7, 2011, 10:50:00 AM , Blogger IdentitySeeker said...

I love your review- it's helped me gain greater insight into what this book is all about and has made me want to read it more than ever. Thank you for the wonderful explanation:)

Sarah

 
At Sep 7, 2011, 12:14:00 PM , Blogger Giselle said...

Sounds like a book a would really like I've never seen it before. Great review! I will def. be putting it on my TBR list. :)
Giselle Cormier

 
At Sep 7, 2011, 8:43:00 PM , Blogger brendajean said...

Thanks for the review:) I'd love a 4 star book with time travel. I can't wait to read it:)

bchild5 at aol dot com

 
At Sep 7, 2011, 9:04:00 PM , Blogger Megan @Reading Away The Days said...

Great review. I really want to read this book. I heart the cover. And I have never read a time travel book before!

x

 
At Sep 8, 2011, 2:37:00 AM , Blogger nayjf said...

I loved this book!

antane

 
At Sep 12, 2011, 12:43:00 AM , Blogger TheReadingOwl said...

This book sounds so cool! I need to read it soon.

 
At Sep 25, 2011, 10:52:00 PM , Blogger Karli said...

Sounds like a good read. Great review! I'm glad that the romance isn't Bella/Edward instantaneous fascination. That kind of thing ticks me off. That was one of my worries when reading the synopsis, but you've alleviated those fears. It's joining my TBR list! :)

 
At Sep 27, 2011, 7:28:00 AM , Anonymous Debbie W. said...

Haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Michael seems rather mysterious and I quite like those types, though I agree that withholding info is very frustrating. Can't wait to read it!

 
At Oct 1, 2011, 7:36:00 PM , Blogger Kah_cherub said...

I read it as soon as it came out, also very excited about the time-traveling bit.. but I wasn't so impressed, I'm afraid... :(
And no offense, but I have to disagree with you. I thought the pace was way to slow for my taste. LOL But that's why we have the right to our own opinions, huh? ;)

I loved the review!

 
At Oct 2, 2011, 1:18:00 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I just got this book and am really looking forward to reading it.

I am obsessed with the cover.

It sounds really good. Glad you liked it! Looking forward to reading it.

 
At Oct 2, 2011, 9:12:00 AM , Blogger Sofija Kapranova said...

Great review! I will start this any day now. I just love time traveling book!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home