This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Author: Julie Kagawa
Titel: The Iron Knight
Publisher: Harlequin 
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: Iron Fey #4
Release Date: 25th October 2011
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Source: ARC through NetGalley
Get it: Amazon | Book Depository 
Goodreads Summary
To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
*** review contains spoilers about the first 3 books***

OMG! What should I say?
When I finished the Iron Queen earlier this year I was devastated. Meghan and Ash survived their missions,  saved the Nevernever and in the end after they sacrificed so much couldn't be together. I was so depressed. Especially because at this time I didn't know that there would be a fourth book.
Since I knew that The Iron Knight would be published in October and that Ash would have another chance of getting together with Meghan I couln't wait for October (I didn't even care for the summer). Then I got the ARC via NetGalley (thanks again to Harlequin) on a Friday afternoon and my weekend was set.
I wasn't disappointed. The Iron Knight is the perfect ending for the Iron fey series.
In contrast to the first 3 books, which were told from Meghan's point of view, the story is now narrated by the Winter Prince. Though I was a fan of Ash since the Iron King I didn't know a lot about his inner feelings. He doesn't exactly carry his heart on his sleeves. So I really appreciated to read this story from his POV and to know about what is important to him.
The whole story is kind of an adventurous, fairy-tale-like road trip (without roads). Ash promised Meghan to find a way to be together and as Fey can't stand iron he has to become mortal and human. In his quest he is joined by several of his old friends and even enemies. It's kind of a fellowship but not everyone, or better nobody, is completely open about their motives.
I was pleased that Grimalkin is once again on board. This cat is just too amusing.
And of course, Puck is back. The interactions between Ash and the mischievous Summer Fey are definitely one of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much. These two used to be friends, became enemies over the death of Ash's former love and now they try working together. There is a lot of teasing going on. You get to know more about their former friendship and some of the pranks and adventures they lived through. At the same time they are still enemies because Ash swore to kill Puck and if he doesn't intend to keep his promise he will stop to exist. And you realize that this is hard for both of them and very complicated. There isn't just one truth, there are layers of truth and lies tainted by their feelings.
And you watch Ash changing. When he was cold, unfeeling and almost brutal he becomes more and more human. And he realizes what humanity really means. He becomes vulnerable.
I don't want to give away too much but there are more members in this odd traveling group. One of them plays a central role for the whole plot and for the Puck-Ash-relationship.
As usual Julie Kagawa writes an amazing plot. There are a few massive surprises and twists. There is plenty of action and new fascinating fantasy creatures. But what really make you love this book are the calm scenes in between.
Meghan isn't there in long parts of the book. But as Ash is doing all this because of her, she is still a central part of the story.
Overall an amazing creative fantasy story about friendship, humanity and most of all love and how we deal with people we love. Well done, Julie Kagawa!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Sep 25, 2011, 11:39:00 AM , Blogger marybelle said...

I have not yet begun this series. I was waiting for them all to be out. I can see now that I will enjoy them especially as I don't have to wait between books.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

 
At Sep 25, 2011, 5:35:00 PM , Blogger Adriana said...

Great review and congrats that you got a change for advance reading it.
I gasp in your comment about Ash becoming human? WOW
I ´m dying to read this book I have read yhe 3 previous and the 3.5 Summer. Just recently found about that this book was going to be Ash POV.

 
At Sep 27, 2011, 11:03:00 PM , Blogger _yay_ said...

I read the first book in the series and didn't like it at all. Everyone keeps telling me to give it another try. Would you say the others books are any better?
Hmmm, maybe it's just because I don't like fairy-themed books too much.
Sasse (_yay_)

 
At Sep 30, 2011, 10:40:00 PM , Blogger TayteH said...

Okay, first: _yay_, you should give it a second try. Second, I too hate what happened in the end. After all of their work and struggles! IT'S HORRIBLE! But i still can't wait to read the Iron Knight.
TayteH

 
At Sep 30, 2011, 10:42:00 PM , Blogger TayteH said...

1: _yay_, try it again. It's an amazing series.
2: I too hated the ending of the Iron Queen. After all they've been through! GAH! It's horrible. But I can't to read the Iron Knight

 
At Sep 30, 2011, 11:08:00 PM , Blogger Ron C. Nieto said...

I had the chance to review this one as ARC as well, but I'm holding the post till the PubDate :)

What can I say? I completely agree. I don't think Ash is coming apart because of his promise to Puck, though - it made me wonder why he wasn't trying to kill him in Iron Queen while not dying in the process, and I admit that Iron Knight explains it beautifully! I think the promise he has trouble keeping is the search for humanity itself. No wonder. I'd probably think twice about it as well!

I thought Ash's voice was well done, too - we know enough to "synch" with his feelings, but not too much that he'd stop being our beloved Ice Prince. Also, Kagawa did a wonderful job of making his narration different from Meghans... I think. Your thoughts?

Great Review! Thanks for sharing :)

Ron @ Stories of my life

Psst... If you are interested, I got the reviews of the three first volumes up in my blog :) Just for some healthy discussion!

 
At Oct 2, 2011, 8:07:00 AM , Blogger Maidenveil said...

I love love the iron fey series. it's great that you loved this fourth book too. i agree with you, it might be ash's story but it's still for meghan. to be with her so she's still in the story. :)

 
At Oct 2, 2011, 5:30:00 PM , Blogger janhvi said...

I really should catch up on this series but unfortunately its just not happening for me.All the reviews are good.Now,I'm determined to give them a try!

Janhvi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home