This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Endlessly Bookish: Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


Titel: Shiver 
Publisher: Scholastic Press 
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal 
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1 
Published: 1st August 2010 
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars 
Summary (author's website)
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can’t seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It’s her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
I wanted to read this book for so long. Everyone in the book blog community seems to have read it already and they all love it. So there was plenty of anticipation.
And to make this short, I adore this book. I devoured it in one evening because I needed to know what will happen next to Sam and Grace.

I definitely had no problems getting into the story. I was already completely and utterly hooked after reading the prologue. Grace is such a sweet and caring character and she is very lonely. She does have good friends at school but her parents on the other hand are neglecting her by just not being home, not caring, being oblivious. Grace has one obsessions, the wolves which, in winter, live in the woods and which she does watch endlessly. She was attacked by wolves years ago (interestingly she is still not scarred of them) and still clearly remembers one of them with bright yellow eyes.

After an attack the wolves are hunted and Grace finds a wounded, naked boy at her backdoor. A boy with yellow eyes. Without any doubt she helps him and takes him in. When she discovers his secret, she offers him shelter and most importantly warmth. Soon we get to know that Sam is as fascinated by Grace as she is with the yellow-eyed wolf. Now they get to know each other as human beings.
I was very fascinated by the whole concept. There are so many shapeshifter/werewolf stories published at the moment that I was kind of sure that I read it all. But Maggie Stiefvater proofed me wrong. The idea that the shifting is activated by temperature is genial. In addition the longer you are a wolf the shorter the time every year you will be human form.

From the beginning of the book it was clear that Sam and Grace are both spell bound by each other for years. Without knowing each other. But finally the time has come to be together. But it is fall, temperatures a declining and Sam's human time is running out. Maybe he will never shift back into his human form. This gives the whole book an enormous feeling of melancholia, almost hopelessness and a lot of tension. I was reading how Sam and Grace grew together, written in such beautiful words and at the same time a was sad for them because there seemed to be no hope, no happy ending. But as my grandfather always says: Hope springs eternal! And like every other human being I did hope for them.

The love story between Grace and Sam is one of the sweetest, most loving and also almost most desperate I have ever read. It makes you feel great and sad at the same time. And I wanted more of it. The book could have gone on endlessly for me.
I loved that the POV alternated between Sam and Grace. You get to know the inner feelings, fears and hopes of both of them. And they got more and more precious.

Overall this is one of the best paranormal young adult book romance books I have read. I loved everything about it (sorry I tried finding a fault), especially the two main characters. There is more going on than just Grace's and Sam's story but this was my main focus. I know that Shiver (A very accurate title!) is the start of a series, but I'm not sure I want to read the following books. There is enough closure to the story to make me happy and I fear reading more will me me rather unhappy (I saw some spoilers about the 3rd book). Sometimes less is more. Do you agree or not?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At Sep 22, 2011, 2:20:00 PM , Blogger Pepca said...

I've been waiting to read this book for ages. I want to read it now! It seems to be just the kind I love - emotional, dark, and beautiful. Great review!

 
At Sep 22, 2011, 3:18:00 PM , Blogger poisnivyred said...

I just recently finished the first 2 books and Forever is next on my list (had to take a pause so I could read The Near Witch. I definitely want to find out what happens to Sam and Grace but you got me worried with what you said about spoilers of the 3rd book! I hate unhappy endings so I really hope Sam and Grace can be together!

 
At Sep 22, 2011, 9:55:00 PM , Blogger Ron C. Nieto said...

I felt the same way you did: everyone had read the book but me! So I got the audiobook version - so that I could juggle it with the books I need to review on schedule! - and waited for the magic to happen.

Got to say, folks either love or hate it. Those who hate it tend to name a similarity with Twilight as the reason... I didn't see it as similar at all (did you?) but I had some trouble liking this title as much as I wanted to. Grace's obsession with her wolf, wherein she actually falls in love with it when she still believes it's just an animal did bother me a little. I also felt their relationship moved in jumps...

Then again, the fact that I deeply disliked Sam's voice acting might have influenced the overall feeling *looks sheepish*. Do you think that's possible?

Ouch. It seems I've stolen your comment's section to do my review! *laughs* I'll shut up now. My own Shiver review should be up this Monday, in case you'd like to compare them :)

Thanks for the review and the unique view!

Ron @ Stories of my life

 
At Sep 23, 2011, 12:01:00 PM , Blogger Nimue said...

Thanks for all this great comments!

@ poisnivyred: I just felt that Shiver was completed though I would want to know more about Sam and Grace, I'm quite satisfied with the situation at the moment.

@Ron C Nieto: I will definitely come by :) Any comparison to Twilight didn't even enter my brain until you were mentioning it and I still can't see any similarities except it's Urban Fantasy. And yes, I think the voices in an audio book can deeply influence how we feel about characters. But it's a pity. I'm very fond of Sam :)

 
At Sep 24, 2011, 1:02:00 PM , Blogger Melliane said...

I've heard a lot of things about this series, good and bad, so I don't check it out, but maybe I was wrong, your review makes me want to read it. Thanks

 
At Sep 26, 2011, 9:50:00 AM , OpenID juhinareadsitall said...

i agree with you. The characters are so lovable, and i loved their love story. It was so sweet and just addicting. I just kept thinking i hope i experience such a loving relationship before i die :P. I LOVED this book so much. one of the best ya paranormal romance ive read so far

 
At Sep 27, 2011, 1:47:00 PM , Blogger Dovile said...

t yet read this book, but I want to read it very much. And I've heard it's going to be made into a movie, do I hope I'll read it before watching it.

 
At Sep 28, 2011, 5:47:00 PM , Blogger Megan @Reading Away The Days said...

Shiver has been on my TRL for a while. I have heard great things about it and from your review it sounds awesome. I love anything with romance and wolfs. Will def pop this further up my TRL.

Great review!

 
At Sep 30, 2011, 10:17:00 PM , Blogger Mel rob said...

Shiver is a very good read. I loved all the characters, but I adored Sam, who doesn't love his yellow eyes? <3 *sigh*
I have also read Linger, 2nd book, and I'm looking forward to get my hands on Forever. I hope it has a great ending, a happy one, please? :)

 
At Oct 1, 2011, 4:58:00 AM , Blogger IdentitySeeker said...

I read Shiver over a long period of time because it took me a long while to get into. I also couldn't help but draw comparisons to Twilight and one of them that stood out strongly for me was the reversal of parent-child roles, where Grace had to be the responsible one while her parents neglected her to such an extent that they were unaware there was a boy sleeping in her room for so many nights. This reminded me of Bella's dad not knowing that Edward was in her room at night and fetching her from home in the mornings. Also, Grace's mum was a little too irresponsible and that reminded me of Bella's mum and how Bella had to shoulder the responsibility and learn how to cook and take care of her mum, and later, her dad.

Maybe if I didn't have Twilight to compare it against, I wouldn't have found cause to complain. Or maybe if Shiver hadn't been hyped to such an extent that I grew to expect so much more, that what I was faced with disappointed me. However, I admire your ability to resist picking up the next book in the series so that you're not disappointed. I've also read some spoilers for the third book, but I think I might pick up the second out of curiosity.

Sarah @ Random Thoughts...

 
At Oct 1, 2011, 5:31:00 AM , Blogger Chen Yan Chang said...

I loved Shiver! It's such a beautiful, sad, and poetic story. The love story between Sam and Grace is so sweet and beautiful. They are so perfect together. And I loved the idea that temperature affects the wolf change. It's such a unique idea. It ended great. The 2nd book, Linger, does end on a cliffhanger which made me sad. I still haven't read the 3rd book, Forever, yet so I hope things wrap up!

 
At Oct 3, 2011, 4:48:00 AM , Blogger elin said...

I also love Shiver. It is so different from typical werewolf stories where it is mostly about the Pack and power. This is sweet and tragically sad. I think Linger is the best out of the three books.

 
At Oct 3, 2011, 11:26:00 AM , Blogger Chocolate Chunky Munkie said...

After reading so many books with Vampires in, reading Shiver was a breath of fresh air. I loved the relationship between the characters and the ending made me want to read more. Great review.

Jennyx
http://chocolatechunkymunkie.blogspot.com

 
At Oct 3, 2011, 4:43:00 PM , Blogger MamaMunky said...

I was going to review this for my blog, but you seemed to have written my review for me. I honestly couldn't have said it better. :)

Lindsey Aylward
lindseyaylward@yahoo.com

 
At Oct 4, 2011, 3:44:00 PM , Blogger Lady McFly said...

Shiver was a great book about love between Sam and Grace. I love them together ♥. But in book me missed any action. Just love, love, love. Love is great but action too! :D So, I want read second book by Maggie about Wolfs from Mercy Falls and I hope little more action :).

PS: Great review :).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home